SOFTWARE LOCALIZATION – ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL
When it comes to localization, the proverbial one-size-fits-all approach does not apply. Do not be fooled by online services that ask you to upload your software files and promise to deliver a localized product just like that – by magic. Fortunately for professional localizers who value work well done, a machine does not replace localization engineers.
Successful software localization is highly dependent on:
- Correct parsing of complex files (such as XLIFF or PO files that themselves contain HTML code and the HTML further contains embedded Java scripts). Automated systems will fail at this task.
- Understanding the context for each translated word.
A one-size-fits-all approach that applies a standard parser and sends your files to any translator out there will bring absurd results. A fair amount of the translated content will simply be wrong once placed back in context, while some portions of the content will not even be translated.
Consider the cost of a single software bug, and remember that a bug introduced during translation due to a sloppy or simplistic approach will be multiplied by the number of target languages! This will likely cost you far more than what you thought you saved using an automated system in the first place.
In general, localization projects will follow the same main steps; however, the outcome depends on many intricate details that are specific to your individual software localization needs. This is why an up-front evaluation and subsequent methodology identification and process design are critical.
Do you want to know how this works concretely when applied to your project and your software localization needs? It is easy to see for yourself by requesting your own specific project analysis and process proposal report free of charge. No strings attached. Contact us and ask to speak with one of our software localization specialists.
SOFTWARE LOCALIZATION APPROACH – WORKING SMART
Our focus is always on optimization: decrease costs, decrease time to market, assure high quality and sustain the greatest possible reusability. If we can localize your software using a standard approach and standard toolset, we will do it. Why not? However, if we find a need for a special process and tool, we will pull it out of our own toolbox or develop it.
LOCALIZATION QUALITY ASSURANCE
You would not release your software product without proper testing. Localized applications should not be treated any differently. Even if you apply the best practices in localization, some defects in your language variants will be present. Learn how EzGlobe can help you carry out professional localization quality assurance or contact us to learn more.
LOCALIZATION FILE SUPPORT
- Generic Software Files: HTML, XML, XSL, SGML, RTF, PO, JSON, PROPERTIES, INI, YAML, YMAL, plain text, EXE, RC, DLL, MSI, INI, OCX, SCR, CPL, NLS, RESX, RESW, RESJSON, XLF, XLIFF, JAVA platform files (source files properties and binaries), Microsoft .NET (source files including custom properties), SDLXLIFF, TTX, ITD
- Proprietary Files: Any structured text-based files: EzGlobe has a proprietary programmable filter/parser which can be loaded with any grammar.
- Databases: MySQL, MS SQL Server, MS Access databases.